Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2 Mar 11 Running

So much stuff has been happening in my life let me tell ya. So Jeri, aka Princess, has decided it's high time we, WE, engage in act-tiv-it-tees! In the last month she has joined a hiking group, weight watchers, and encouraged/signed us up for a couch to 5K running thing. (All of which she wants me to join in on.) She also wears this thing on her shoe that tells how far she's walked. And has decided that not only hers but my eating habits need to change. Needless to say I'm kinda reeling and wondering what is going to happen to my cozy spot I've dug out on the couch?

So, being game and loving my wife I decide, yes! I will do the couch to 5K thing. I used to love to run, and this will be a good thing, you know, getting up and moving. Well! First off let me say, I think I'm gonna die. I mean not really, but good god! So I get out there on the first week and it's a run one minute walk one minute type of thing. I'm just not sure you can call what I did running or jogging, or even trotting at that point. Just maybe a pick up one foot and animate my body to look as if it were running, you know, in slow motion, or maybe even still pictures might be a better description. The fine display of cinematography in the first stages of silent pictures comes to mind as far as my movements on the track.

In reality part of me is like WTH! I used to be able to move this body with little or no effort. And another, possibly bigger, part of me is like WTH! How? When? What? And then I realize that maybe, just maybe, my wonderful wife fears for the future. Not our future of gracefully growing old together but the one where maybe one of us (me) is not around. Not around sooner than expected. I don't want to put words into her mouth but, well just but.

So guess what! My lard ass is out there humiliating myself for all to see. I want to be able to do everything that we should be doing and doing it together. I will put my pride aside to do what is necessary to be able to do everything that we want to do together. I know for me I couldn't stand that thought of losing her. I sure don't want her to have to suffer because I was the one that went first on something that could have been avoided.

(Did not re-read. Let me say now sorry for any typos or whatever could have been wrong.)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lee. Good for both you and Jeri for becoming more health conscious and active! Unfortunately most of our society is overweight and has diabetes. I see it all the time at the ER and the negative effects (CP, SOB, disease, etc).

    Anyway---I bet you are looking forward to Spring! I know I am! I love to go hiking and exploring outdoors!

    Hey! I have an Air Force friend who lives outside of Raleigh (in Cary) who keeps trying to get Chris and I to move out there. She also says your area is cool, I believe she said Asheville is "a bohemian type atmosphere." LoL I'm always researching areas and cool places to see, so who knows what the future will bring!

    I hope you continue regularly on your blog! I'd love to read about how you're progressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jean! I will continue, actually I have another one I want to write now so I'll get on that soon.

    This area is cool and bohemian. lol It can be a lot of fun. I've met some really great people here.

    And come on and move here and we'll tear this place up just like we did Atlanta! :{D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well for now I think we're going to hold off on moving. I'm working in a Trauma ER now, but disappointed in their benefit package. I might go back to the Portland VA ER. The benefits there are just too damn good. Talked with my boss and she is trying to get me back and so far, it's looking like a possibility. Anyway--we will go check out NC on one of our vacations (5 weeks per year with VA). Who knows? If it looks good, we may transfer there in the future. Time will tell my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it takes great courage to go head on into something so different from what you are used to. Go get em, Tiger!!

    ReplyDelete

 
footer